California judge orders release of Pelosi attack footage

0
42

Footage of the assault on the husband of former Speaker of the US House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi will be released to the public after a judge denied prosecutors’ request to keep it a secret on Wednesday.

San Francisco Supreme Court Justice Stephen M. Murphy ruled there was no reason to keep the footage a secret, especially after prosecutors played it back in open court last month at a preliminary hearing, according to Thomas R. Burke, an attorney at law. San Francisco-based attorney representing The The Singapore Time and numerous other news agencies in their attempt to access the evidence.

The San Francisco State Department handed over evidence to Murphy after a court hearing on Wednesday. Murphy asked the clerk to distribute it to the media, which could happen as early as Thursday.

See also  Sweden warns citizens to avoid protests in Turkey – TSTIME – 28/01/2023

Nancy Pelosi’s husband, Paul Pelosi, was sleeping at the couple’s San Francisco home on Oct. 28 when someone broke in and hit him with a hammer. Prosecutors have charged 42-year-old David DePape in connection with the attack.

During a preliminary hearing last month, prosecutors played parts of Paul Pelosi’s 911 call plus footage from Capitol police surveillance cameras, body cameras worn by the two police officers who arrived at the house, and video of DePape’s interview with the police.

But when news organizations asked for copies of that evidence, the San Francisco District Attorney refused to release it. The attack, which took place just days before the 2022 midterm elections, sparked intense public speculation that fueled the spread of false information.

See also  1 dead, 1 seriously injured in Ellwood City shooting

The district attorney’s office argued that releasing the footage publicly would only allow people to manipulate it in their quest to spread false information.

But the news agencies argued that it was vital for prosecutors to publicly share their evidence that could debunk false information about the attack on the Internet.

“You’re not abolishing the public’s right of access just because of conspiracy theory concerns,” Burke said.

The San Francisco State Department did not respond to an email from The The Singapore Time asking for comment.

The news agencies seeking the release of the footage include The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, The San Francisco Chronicle, The Press Democrat, TSTIME, TSTIME News, TSTIME, TSTIME, NBC and KQED, a NPR-affiliated radio station in San Francisco.

See also  President Biden touts a $292 million grant for the Hudson River Tunnel Project

DePape last month pleaded not guilty to six charges, including attempted murder. Police have said DePape told them there was “evil in Washington” and that he wanted to harm Nancy Pelosi because she was second in line to the presidency. His case is pending.

The Democrats lost their majority in the House of Representatives after the midterm elections. Republicans selected California Republican U.S. Representative Kevin McCarthy as the new speaker. Pelosi remains in Congress, but she resigned as Democratic leader. She was replaced by New York’s Hakeem Jeffries.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here