Curious cat is covered in paint after stepping into open can


A pet owner wants people to be more careful when painting their fences after her curious cat was left covered.

Jemma Mossop, 32, was shocked when her cat, George, came home covered from head to toe in what she believed to be brown paint.

She claimed that one of her neighbors had left a can of paint without a lid in their yard – and the mischievous George decided to check it out.

Mossop, from Morecambe, England, rushed 6-month-old George to the vet to get his eyes checked.

Six-month-old George was radiantly white before he got home, covered from head to toe in what his owner thinks was brown paint. Jemma Mossop says a neighbor left a can of paint uncovered in their yard.
Jemma Mossop, SWNS/Zenger

Cloths and towels were then used to wipe off as much paint as possible before clippers were applied to the fur that was too poorly coated to save.

George is home safe and sound, and Mossop warns people who leave uncovered paint cans in their yard in hopes of saving other animals from the same fate.

See also  Two dead and two injured after lightning strike in DC park near White House

She said on Facebook: “If you’re using paint or stains in the yard to brighten things up for summer… put the lids on or put them away overnight!

“Even if you hate cats – this could have been a hedgehog, a squirrel, a TSTIME or some other little critter in the yard, all because someone didn’t [bothered] clearing their creosote.”

And the photographer, who lives with her husband Duncan, 34, and their daughter, added: “My poor boy usually goes out late for a quick walk before going to bed.

“He went out around 11pm and when I got up around 11:15pm to go to the bathroom he was sitting in front of my daughter’s bedroom door dripping.

“I initially thought it was mud because of the torrential rain we had that night, but when I picked it up I realized it was greasy.

See also  Grand Supreme Court hearing today to decide 'true Shiv Sena', Shinde says, let election commission decide

“When I turned on the light, it was all encrusted in a thick dark brown oil-based stain.

“I had my husband wipe it off his eyes as he struggled to open them and called emergency vets for help.

“They said they should take him down immediately because of the risk to his eyes and skin, plus poisoning if ingested by trying to groom himself.

“We were there for about two hours cleaning him in an incredibly slow process of washing and wiping with cloths and towels, and clipping his fur when the oil slick came away – it was too thick to get clippers in at first.

“His vet was absolutely incredible.

“We were lucky that he cooperated, otherwise he would have had to be sedated, but he seemed to know we were helping him and sat quietly watching our work.

“He was such a good kid and just let me hold him while she sorted him out. The poor vets must have screwed up about 20 towels on him.

See also  England ODI series ratings: Reece Topley stars against India but batting lineup fails to fire

“We were very lucky to catch it so quickly before he had a chance to groom himself and before it had a chance to get into his eyes and skin – it causes sores in the eyes and skin irritation if not removed quickly.

“Fortunately, he is now home and feeling sorry for himself.

“He’s had a very lucky escape, but it scares me so much that wild animals could do this to themselves without getting help, or that he could come in after I went to bed and wasn’t found until the morning when he was coming.” .” have almost certainly died trying to nurse themselves, as it is poisonous if ingested.

“It will take months for his fur to grow back and he’s dyed brown, but it could have been so much worse!

“Even if you hate cats – this could have been a hedgehog, a squirrel, a TSTIME or some other little critter in the yard, all because someone couldn’t bring themselves to clean up their creosote once they got it for that one.” day!”

Produced in collaboration with SWNS.

This story was provided to Newsweek by Zenger News.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here