Vettel highlights climate change at Miami GP
It has been an incredible last few days for Sergio Perez after triumphing in a chaotic and thrilling Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday, immediately followed by his Red Bull contract extension until 2024 on Monday. The good news continued to arrive for Red Bull as the FIA dismissed complaints against Ferrari’s two drivers, Perez and Max Verstappen.
The latter team had to pick up the pieces after Charles Leclerc lost not just pole position but even a podium place, with the team’s calls during the rain-delayed race proving exceptionally costly and leaving Leclerc furious. – and out of first place in the championship race, too.
Mick Schumacher thankfully emerged unscathed from an accident that saw his Haas machine sensationally split in two, while Lewis Hamilton was frustrated again as he was stuck behind an unaccommodating Fernando Alonso. Follow the live news and reactions from the Monaco Grand Prix below:
Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari united against current F1 budget cap
Formula 1’s top three teams have shown a united front as they speak out against the sport’s current budget cap, with the chiefs of Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari all pointing out the difficulty of staying within the imposed limit.
Each F1 team is working with a cost cap of £119million this season, a move which aims to ensure a more equal level of competition, but drastic inflation and a steep rise in freight costs have left teams running the risk of exceeding this amount in expenses. .
“At the time we all accepted these cuts, no one could have predicted what was happening in the world and how it is fueling inflation in every home in the world,” said Christian Horner, director of the Red team. Bull at Sky Sports.
“We see it in Formula 1, we see it with logistics, we see it with energy costs. For me, that’s something the FIA needs to take into account.”
Karl MatchetJune 1, 2022 1:50 p.m.
Yuki Tsunoda hopes to one day drive alongside Max Verstappen for Red Bull and challenge for the World Championship after leaving his current role at AlphaTauri.
“It would be nice to drive with [Verstappen]”, Tsunoda told Racing News 365 in an interview.
“I think [he is] currently the best driver on the grid – next to me! [I have been able to] learn a lot of things [from] him when I arrived at Red Bull. If I were to ride with him, that would be great.
“Of course, to be world champion, I have to beat him. If I beat him, you can feel like one of the best drivers in Formula 1.
“Max is kind of the target of what I have to aim for, or the reference driver that I have to aim for. [for]. I hope to be able to ride with him in the future for the same team.
Karl MatchetJune 1, 2022 1:40 p.m.
Alex Albon has said the Monaco Grand Prix was a race to forget, having had to retire from his Williams car after failing to reach Q2 earlier in the weekend.
“It was a tough day and a bit poor performance from my side as well,” he said.
“The conditions meant it was really difficult to brake in the right window, especially with all the variations that a drying track and red flags bring.
“The car felt good every time we had clean air and I felt competitive at certain points, so there are some positives to take from today.
“Unfortunately towards the end of the race I had a problem with the car which forced me to retire.
“I think it’s probably a weekend to forget for us, but that’s how it goes sometimes.”
Karl MatchetJune 1, 2022 1:20 p.m.
Lando Norris ‘destroys’ his McLaren team-mate Daniel Ricciardo
Eddie Jordan believes Lando Norris is overshadowing Daniel Ricciardo at McLaren to such an extent that the Australian must find a way back quickly or face a dramatic downturn in his career.
Norris had 48 points to Ricciardo’s 11 and Jordan thinks the decline could be quick.
“He lets the groceries pass, and you very rarely get a chance to get that back,” Jordan told Channel 4.
“I think I would watch his career path from now on because I don’t know how far he can go.
“Lando is destroying him, mentally, physically and on the track.
“And when you have that kind of scenario inside a team, it happens to you.
“So he has to shake it off immediately.”
Karl MatchetJune 1, 2022 1:00 p.m.
Lewis Hamilton’s struggle leads Toto Wolff to demand changes to Monaco Grand Prix
Hamilton rode much faster than seventh-placed Alonso for a long stretch towards the end of the race as the Spaniard tried to preserve his tyres.
And Wolff believes the situation involving the two former world champions is a demonstration that Monaco racing needs to reinvent itself.
Read Wolff’s thoughts here:
Karl MatchetJune 1, 2022 12:40 p.m.
Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso still have a ‘needle’ between them, says Martin Brundle
Hamilton was showing much better pace than Alonso at the Monte Carlo circuit but failed to find a way past the Spaniard as he was forced to settle for eighth place.
And Brundle believes the Monaco race showed that there are still tensions between the two former world champions who were teammates at McLaren 15 years ago.
Speaking in his Sky Sports column, he said: “[Lando] Norris had the luxury of an extra stop because behind him Fernando Alonso entered a regular, but necessary tire preservation mode for him, with the rest of the field lining up behind him, starting with a Lewis Hamilton very frustrated.
“‘It’s not my problem,’ Fernando said, and you can’t help but feel there’s still a needle between them after their McLaren season as teammates in 2007.”
Karl MatchetJune 1, 2022 12:20 p.m.
Latest F1 News
Zhou Guanyu says his close call with Yuki Tsunoda was a scary occasion as he nearly saved his car from a collision after wet conditions threatened to cause an accident.
Mick Schumacher was involved in a massive accident from which he thankfully emerged unscathed, but Alfa Romeo driver Zhou said he was only focused on keeping his wheels on the track.
“It was probably one of the closest rounds behind Yuki, so I really had to dive inside at the last minute, and unfortunately he tried to cover for a bit, then by the time I tried to avoid this, I hit the wet area.
“It was almost [keeping] the car on the track there.
Said his save looked “cool” in real time, Zhou was honest about his feelings at the time – but looked forward to a different perspective.
“It wasn’t too cool in the cockpit, it was pretty scary! But it will be nice to take a look at the replay.
Karl MatchetJune 1, 2022 12:00
Fernando Alonso is still feeling the effects of the crash in Australia
Double Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso said he was still feeling the effects of a qualifying crash in Australia last month and expected to suffer for months to come.
The Alpine driver had bandages on both wrists after the Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday and told reporters they were a consequence of his crash in Melbourne.
“It’s still from Australia,” he said, referring to crashing into the Albert Park wall.
“Bones, ligaments, tendons, everything is a mess right now.
“I need two or three months and there is no operation, you can’t do anything. Just rest. Unfortunately, every two weeks I have to drive so I try to rest at home but it will take a few months,” added the 40-year-old.
Formula 1 has scheduled six more races, split into pairs of double-headers, before the August break.
When it was jokingly suggested that Alonso could hand his car over to the Renault-owned team’s Australian reserve driver Oscar Piastri, the Spaniard replied: “Yes, but we need the points.”
Alpine is sixth in the constructors’ championship, but only a point behind Alfa Romeo and 19 behind McLaren after seven races with the top three – Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes – well ahead.
Alonso finished seventh in Monaco, ahead of seven-time Mercedes world champion Lewis Hamilton, who failed to navigate the tight street circuit despite a faster car and the Spaniard well behind.
Alonso said his strategy in the final stint was to manage the tires for 15 laps before pushing for the remaining 15 to the finish.
“That was Hamilton’s problem,” he said. “It’s Monaco and I like to keep people behind.”
Karl MatchetJune 1, 2022 11:40 am
Ferrari have been puzzled by F1’s decision not to sanction Red Bull pair Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez at the Monaco GP, for perceived pit lane violations.
A protest went unheeded and left Mattia Binotto stunned, with Italian journalist Roberto Chinchero once again pointing out the lack of consistency in decision-making.
“Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez touched the yellow line coming out of the pit lane. Both Red Bull drivers did a maneuver that has been sanctioned in the past,” he told Motorsport.com.
“The FIA had not even opened an investigation and it was only after Ferrari’s complaint that the matter was discussed.
“The decision is scandalous: the RB18 did not cross the line with all the tires so there was no infringement for the marshals. A judgment that contradicts previous convictions.
Karl MatchetJune 1, 2022 11:20 a.m.
Gasly explains a “creative” overtaking in Monaco
One of the moments of the weekend when Sunday’s race finally started was when Pierre Gasly managed to pass Daniel Ricciardo in an unconventional way, passing him as they made the entrance to the pool.
It was the need to take risks that led Gasly to change tires first and it paid off as he became inventive.
“It was pretty tight, but I was so much faster than those guys, I just needed to calm down,” Gasly explained after the race.
“I had caught them so fast, and then after you’re like, OK, I want to pass, but it’s like the guy is defending well, suddenly you have no more space on the right, no more space on left.
“Then you have to be creative. That’s what I tried to do. At the end of the day, we F1 drivers are kind of artists, we always have to come up with new ideas.
“I tried to find some unusual places to overtake, and it worked, so I’m happy with that.”
Karl MatchetJune 1, 2022 11:00 a.m.