It’s time for another Overlook 2 balance patch and this one brings some much needed changes to Roadhog and Sojourn. Both heroes have been overpowered for a while now, and a few weeks before season 3 kicks off, they’re getting quite a tune-up.
Roadhog’s classic hook-shot-melee combo should be less of a threat to many heroes thanks to changes to Chain Hook and Scrap Gun. He should still be effective enough and especially devastating when Whole Hog can be combined with Kitsune Rush for increased rate of fire. Well-coordinated teams should also be able to quickly remove an enslaved enemy. But as of now, becoming addicted to Roadhog doesn’t necessarily mean an immediate death sentence for many heroes.
The Sojourn changes are also a big deal. She is a very strong hero since she debuted alongside the Overlook 2 launch, thanks to her powerful Railgun shot. As you progress, the Railgun takes longer to charge on average, even if she takes damage from Mercy or takes headshots. Railgun load is now based on the number of primary fire shots that damage an enemy.
These adjustments may be too late. Roadhog and Sojourn have been tough opponents for many players for months now. We hope these changes smooth out their effectiveness from now on.
Meanwhile, there are some smaller changes in Orisa and Kiriko. Blizzard hasn’t provided any developer comment for the Orisa change, but by tuning the health bonus she receives upon activating Fortify, it’s a clear sign that the developers felt her survivability was a bit too high.
Here are the Overlook 2 patch notes for January 24, including developer comments:
- Health bonus reduced from 125 to 75
- Impact damage reduced from 30 to 5
- The distance from the enemy’s final position to Roadhog after being drawn increased from 10 to 15 feet
- Damage per pellet reduced from 6.6 to 6
- Recovery time reduced from 0.85 to 0.8 seconds
- Reload time reduced from 2 to 1.75 seconds
- Max ammo increased from 5 to 6
Developer Comments: These changes are intended to reduce the frustration of dying instantly right after being hooked and pulled by Roadhog. Chain Hook is still a powerful tool for forcibly repositioning enemy players, so it will still often lead to eliminations. Its effectiveness will now depend more on specific hero matchups and how the addicted target can react.
- Energy gain is no longer based on damage caused by primary fire. Each primary fire on an enemy player now yields 5 energy
- Reduced primary fire damage per projectile from 10 to 9
Developer Comments: The energy boost adjustment helps to flatten Sojourn’s average Railgun charge time to kill, as it doesn’t benefit as much from critical damage or damage boosting abilities. Hitting armored targets or other sources of damage reduction will result in faster energy gains than before.
Previously, damage boosts and critical damage had an enhanced effect for Sojourn, as it shortened the time to build up energy and lowered the threshold at which her secondary fire from the Railgun became lethal. The reduction to primary fire damage will also further delay that.
- The recovery time increased from 0.85 to 1 second
Developer Comments: Despite Kiriko’s healing projectiles moving slowly and being single-targeted, her average healing per match is higher than we’d like. We’ve seen players tend to get overly focused on maximizing her healing potential and only using primary fire for extended periods of time. Instead of reducing the amount of healing per projectile, which may cause her to feel even more locked into focusing primary fire, we’re increasing the recovery time before she can begin firing the healing Ofuda. Increasing recovery times open up the possibility to weave more freely into secondary fire Kunai.
- Fixed an issue with the “How to unlock” text of the “Winged Sandals” weapon charm
- Adjusted audio mixing of footsteps to make enemy footsteps more audible
- Fixed an issue where Lucio’s Hermes skin showed incorrect physics
- Fixed an issue where Reinhardt’s hammer appeared distorted during the Sweethardt emote
- Fixed an issue where Sojourn’s Cyber Detective skin could not be loaded
- Fixed an issue with Adaptive Shield where it could be incorrectly applied before the cooldown completed
Meanwhile, the Lunar New Year 2023 event is underway. It will run until February 6, just before Season 3 is expected to begin.
For more news and updates on Overlook 2 and other games, follow my TSTIME blog! You will receive a weekly email with everything I publish. You’d be doing me a favor too – it’s a great way to support me and my work at no cost. follow me on twitter and Mastodon also.