Railway strikes end as NSW government strikes deal

0
43

The NSW government has finally struck a deal with the railway union to retrofit a fleet of trains after months of bitter negotiations and industrial action.

“Today we put the people of Sydney first,” Prime Minister Dominic Perrottet said in a joint statement released late Friday with Finance Minister Damien Tudehope and Transport Secretary David Elliott.

The parties disagreed over whether or not to implement safety modifications to a multibillion-dollar Korean-built fleet of intercity trains, which have been in storage since 2019.

The government reached the deal with the union on Friday, after months of stymied talks and allegations of bad faith from both sides.

The government has been forced to make concessions

In a letter to its members on Friday evening, the Rail, Tram and Bus Union praised its members for their “unity” and “commitment” and said the government had been forced to make a number of concessions.

See also  Washington, DC, Cardinal Gregory Cancels Annual Pro-Life Youth Rally

RTBU Secretary Alex Claassens confirmed to AAP on Friday that the deal has been completed.

Modifications to the trains allow guards to monitor platforms on approach and departure, increasing safety. The government had argued they were unnecessary and would cost up to $1 billion.

“Millions of rail passengers in Sydney and NSW will now be able to catch a train without being unfairly affected by union disruption, following an agreement between the NSW Government and the Combined Rail Unions,” the Prime Minister and ministers said.

See also  The U.S. House panel looks at the prospect of seating a Cherokee delegate

Sydney commuters enjoyed free transport for a week

“For overgrown school children, people going to work and small businesses, their lives and businesses have been turned upside down by industrial action by the railway unions.”

The deal was signed after Sydney commuters enjoyed a week of free transport, offered by the government to stave off planned industrial action, which would have reduced the network’s capacity by up to a third.

The government and union then entered into mediation throughout the week to resolve the long-running dispute.

What remains to be ironed out are the details of the Railway Union’s new company deal, after the current one expired last year.

See also  The driving law that means one million drivers could be fined £1000

Both parties have agreed that these details may be independently reviewed by the Fair Work Commission.

“We are not at the finish line yet, but our unity and commitment have forced the government to implement the security changes… and we have brought them to a point where a fair agreement is within reach,” the RTBU wrote to its members on Friday.

The government said the Fair Work Commission process would result in a vote of the railway unions and an ongoing arbitration process as they resolved a number of outstanding issues.

“While these Fair Work Commission processes are ongoing, the Combined Rail Unions have agreed not to take industrial action,” the government said.

-MONKEY

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here